Fluffy AIP bread rolls are the perfect accompaniment to soup, salad, or a hearty casserole. They are great on their own, or even better paired with your favorite meal!
When I started AIP, one of the things I missed most was bread! While making good-tasting AIP bread can be tricky, this recipe uses a blend of flours that result in fluffy bread rolls with a chewy exterior and soft interior. I love that they are versatile – you could serve them with soup, or slice them open to make a sausage breakfast sandwich.
Tips for making AIP Bread:
- The blend of flours help ensure the bread stays light and fluffy, so try not to mess with the amounts of each flour. As in most AIP baking recipes, it is SO important to follow the recipe exactly.
- The brand/quality of flours you use is important. I really like Anthony’s grain-free flours for their quality. They give really consistent results with AIP baking!
- Gelatin is what helps bind everything together, so don’t skip that step!
How to store this bread:
Bread rolls can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. These rolls freeze great as well, so I love making a double or triple batch and storing them in a freezer container for up to 3 months.
To defrost them after freezing, remove from the freezer and allow them to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour.Print
Fluffy AIP bread rolls are the perfect accompaniment to soup, salad, or a hearty casserole. They are great on their own, or even better paired with jam!
2/3 cup water
2 tablespoons gelatin
1 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup olive oil
Optional: Italian seasoning, for sprinkling on top (make sure it doesn’t contain black pepper or red pepper flakes)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix gelatin with room temperature water in a saucepan and allow to sit for 5 minutes while you assemble the other ingredients. In a large bowl, combine tapioca, coconut flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, and garlic powder. Mix well. Heat pan with gelatin/water mixture over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until gelatin is dissolved and the mixture is frothy. Pour water/gelatin and olive oil into flour mixture and stir until well combined. Form mixture into 6 balls and place them on a greased baking sheet. Optional: Sprinkle Italian seasoning over the tops of the bread rolls. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container.
Keywords: aip bread
What to serve with AIP bread rolls
These really are perfect with most meals, but here are a few ideas to get you started!
- Soup – these are perfect alongside any AIP soup. There’s nothing better than dipping bread into a steaming bowl of soup!
- Biscuits and gravy – These rolls could definitely be used as a biscuit for AIP biscuits and gravy.
- Breakfast sandwich – For a grab and go breakfast, just slice the bread open and fill it with whatever you enjoy! I love sausage and mixed greens for an easy breakfast sandwich.
- Salad – This is great alongside a salad, like this Cherry Balsamic Salad.