Warm and comforting, this apple berry crisp combines the best of both worlds; apples and delicious fall spices, and berries bursting with sweetness. This is a family favorite for sure!
Luke and I recently took the kiddos apple picking, which was SO much fun! The farm we visited had apple trees that had really low branches that the kids could pick apples from themselves, which was awesome. We ended up with 20 pounds of apples, which is amazing until we got home and I realized that I had to make plans to use 20 pounds of apples. Which was exactly the moment I decided to make apple crisp.
The first time I tried apple crisp was in college (a travesty, I know!). My friend Jill made it for me, and it was magical! I have made her recipe every fall since then, and to me, nothing says fall like apple crisp. This year, I had some extra frozen berries leftover from summer, and I tried throwing them in the mix. Best. decision. ever. This apple crisp was devoured in record time!!!
I like to leave the peels on the apples for a bit more nutrition, and I threw in some not-so-common spices (allspice and cardamom) just to mix things up a bit. Overall, this recipe was a huge success. I will definitely be making it again! I hope you’re able to try it. 🙂
- Apple filling:
- 3 lbs apples (8-9 medium apples), chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 2 T arrowroot starch/flour
- 1 tsp allspice
- pinch cardamom
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey*
- Crisp Topping:
- 1/2 cup softened coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix apples, berries, flour, sugar, and spices together in a greased 13×9 pan. Make the topping by combining butter, flour, oats and brown sugar using a pastry blender or two forks to mix it together until if forms small crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the apple berry filling and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until it is warm and bubbly, and the topping is golden brown. Enjoy!