For a simple meal your whole family will love, try these stuffed Mexican sweet potatoes! Brimming with taco seasoned chicken, beans, corn, and topped with cheddar cheese, these make for a healthy and satisfying meal.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 12 t onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 (15oz) can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn, cooked
- 2 cups shredded cheese of your choice (I used colby jack)
- Optional toppings:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash the sweet potatoes and poke holes in each sweet potato using a fork. Cover a baking sheet in foil, and bake the sweet potatoes for 45 minutes to 1 hour*. While the potatoes are baking, cut the raw chicken into cubes. Add it to a medium skillet along with the tomato sauce, 1 cup water, and all seasonings. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken bites are fully cooked and the liquid has reduced. You can shred the chicken or leave it in chunks. Slice open each sweet potato and mash it up a little. Add 1/4 of the chicken, beans, corn, and cheese. Top with cilantro and salsa if desired. Enjoy!
*Cooking time varies depending on the type of sweet potato and the size. To check it is done, stick a fork in the middle. If it feels totally soft and mushy, it’s done. If its pretty firm or hard, cook it for another 10 minutes and check again.
Keywords: mexican sweet potatoes