Southwestern style chipotle brown rice simmered with acorn squash, kale, and black beans makes for a filling vegetarian meal. Plus this plant powered bowl is gluten free and vegan!
I love the arrival of all the squash in the fall! Butternut, acorn, spaghetti, there are so many delicious ways to cook with squash. This month’s Recipe ReDux theme is plant powered bowls, and I thought acorn squash would make a cute “bowl” for my Chipotle Veggie Rice. This plant powered bowl is jam packed with nutrients, fiber, and protein. Such a filling, simple, and delicious meal!
To make it, just cook the acorn squash ahead of time and puree it in a blender or food processor. Then, simmer rice on the stove with some seasonings, add in the squash, kale, and black beans, and dinner is served. This filling is great on its own, but it can also be used as a burrito or taco filling, or added to taco salad. Check out other ReDuxers’ creations below!
- 1 medium acorn squash, cut in half
- 5 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice, rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2-1 1/2 chipotle pepper, minced*
- 1 Tablespoon adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2 (15oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- Guacamole, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place acorn squash on foil lined baking sheet, flesh side down, and roast for 35-45 minutes, until flesh is soft and mushy. You can do this earlier in the day, or the day before. Scoop out the cooked squash and puree it in a blender or food processor.
- Bring broth to a boil and add rice, garlic, onion powder, chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 35-40 minutes, until rice is cooked. Stir in squash, beans, kale, tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin. Add 1/2 cup water, and salt to taste. Simmer for another 10 minutes uncovered, or until kale is softened and the liquid is evaporated. Top with guacamole, and enjoy!