We have a few road and plane trips coming up this summer, so I’m starting to make some portable snacks that we can easily take along with us. Enter Chocolate Espresso Graham Crackers. They are chocolatey, slightly sweet, yet still nutritious enough to pass for a snack. Sandwich a roasted marshmallow between 2 of them, and you have dessert!
These are versatile, and freeze great! I usually make a double batch and freeze half for when I need a snack in a pinch. They defrost quickly, and the kids love them!Print
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, espresso powder and baking soda to food processor and pulse until combined. Cut up the stick of butter into small cubes and add it to the flour mixture. Pulse it until lumps start to form in the mixture, and then add the chocolate syrup and water and pulse until the mixture comes together and sticks to the sides of the food processor. Dump the mixture out onto a cutting board and work the dough together to form a disc. Roll the disc out between 2 sheets of parchment paper or wax paper until the dough is 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shape using a cookie cutter and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Adapted from http://weelicious.com/2012/04/09/chocolate-graham-crackers/