Wonderful for fall, this recipe combines cheese ravioli with a lightened up pumpkin cream sauce. Best of all, this healthy recipe is ready in 20 minutes or less!
It’s pumpkin time! It didn’t feel right to break out the pumpkin recipes until the weather cooled off a bit, and finally this past weekend it felt a bit like fall outside: cool, crisp mornings and beautiful weather! I might have gotten so excited that I made 3 pumpkin recipes over the weekend. Its totally fine, I have a house full of people that ate all my creations. But I think I have a little pumpkin problem. Luckily, its a good problem to have! 🙂
I made this recipe as part of our monthly Recipe ReDux challenge. This month’s focus is on “Fantastic Freezer Meals”, meals that are healthy, convenient, and can be frozen. Freezer meals are totally my thing, so I love this month’s theme. No matter what I make, I try to make extra so I can freeze it for a future meal. When life gets busy, it is SO nice to have a freezer full of meals that just need to be heated up and they’re ready to go. It is the main way I’m able to feed my family healthy meals most of the time. When my freezer gets empty, it is SUPER tempting to head through the drive thru, so I try to keep our freezer stocked so we always have healthy meals available.
Freezer meals don’t have to be boring. Case in point: this Ravioli in Pumpkin Cream Sauce. It takes less than 20 minutes to prepare, and it can easily be doubled, tripled or quadrupled to store in the freezer for later. This sauce is savory, creamy, and delicious! It’s lightened up using fat free evaporated milk instead of cream, and you’d never know it is healthy. My family loved it, which is pretty much how I know when I have a winning recipe!
RAVIOLI IN PUMPKIN CREAM SAUCE
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 10 ounce package frozen cheese ravioli
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 (12oz) can fat free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- To eat immediately, cook the ravioli according to package directions and then make the pumpkin cream sauce. For freezer meal, start with the pumpkin cream sauce. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and saute the onion until soft and translucent. Add in pumpkin, nutmeg, sage, pepper and salt, and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in evaporated milk and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until mixture has slightly thickened. Whisk in parmesan, and stir until melted and remove from heat. To eat right away, mix cooked ravioli into sauce and enjoy! To freeze, let the pumpkin sauce cool completely. Then, store in a zip top freezer bag in the freezer until ready to use. When ready to use, thaw pumpkin sauce in the refrigerator overnight. Then, cook ravioli according to package directions and heat sauce in a saucepan on the stove. Combine the cooked ravioli and heated sauce and enjoy!