This simple summer dinner is made with tortilla chips stacked high with bell peppers, onions, monterrey jack cheese, beans, avocado and shrimp. Light, healthy, and delicious!
I have to admit, I’m a pretty big fan of shrimp. As in, I crave it all the time. When we were living in San Diego, our neighborhood taco shop had the BEST shrimp tacos, and I’ve pretty much been obsessed with shrimp ever since. Now that we live in Missouri, I have to find ways to still enjoy shrimp that doesn’t involve a taco shop. These nachos are sooo good, and a perfect light dinner. They come together pretty quickly, and are super delicious!
The great thing about this recipe is you can customize it however you like to fit your taste. Feel free to switch out toppings to put your own spin on it. I’m pretty sure I could eat these every day and not get sick of them!Print
- 3 bell peppers, any color
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 (12oz) or larger bag of corn tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded monterrey jack cheese
- 12 oz frozen or fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (15oz) can beans, any type, drained and rinsed
- 2 avocados, diced
- cilantro, for serving
- Begin by slicing the bell peppers and onions into thin strips. Heat oil in large skillet, and saute peppers and onions over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from skillet. Add shrimp to skillet with 1/2 cup of salsa and saute over medium heat just until cooked completely (shrimp should be opaque white and heated all the way through). Now its time to build your nachos! Start with a layer of tortilla chips, then add 1/4 of the beans, 1/4 of the peppers, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, more chips, 1/4 of the shrimp, and 1/2 cup more cheese. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted. Top with avocado, cilantro, and salsa. Repeat with 3 more plates of nachos. Enjoy!