Slightly sweet, this lightened up muffin is bursting with fall flavors. Made with whole wheat flour, apples, and flax meal, these healthy muffins are full of fiber and nutrients, and are a crowd pleaser perfect for fall!
Fall is in the air (kind of), and I am ready with these delicious muffins! I know it is still summer, but fall is right around the corner. I love those crisp fall mornings, the cool nights, the leaves changing colors. I really love getting to spend time outside without sweating like crazy and getting eaten alive by mosquitos. Bring on fall!!! I’m getting in the fall spirit with these wonderful muffins. One of the things I love doing with my kids in the fall is apple picking. It is so much fun heading out to a nearby farm and picking apples straight from the tree. We always end up with TONS of apples, which is a good thing, because I get to make them into delicious creations like this one!
What makes these muffins “healthy”? I reduced the sugar by 1/3, replaced more than 1/2 the white flour with whole wheat flour, used flax meal instead of eggs, incorporated shredded apples (with the peel left on!), and added lots of spices. I love that they still taste like traditional bakery muffins, but have a lot more good stuff in them. And as an added bonus, they smell heavenly!!! There’s nothing like the smell of fresh baked muffins in the morning. Good thing I had little eaters helping me out, or I could have easily eaten them all by myself! 🙂 What is your favorite fall recipe? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
- • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- • 2 flax eggs (2T flax meal + 5T water)
- • 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- • 1 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- • 1 teaspoon baking soda
- • 1 teaspoon baking powder
- • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- • ½ tsp nutmeg
- • ½ tsp ginger
- • ¼ tsp cloves
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 1/4 cup 1% milk
- • 1 and 1/2 cups grated apple (3 medium apples)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a muffin pan with nonstick or baking spray. In a small bowl, mix the flax meal and water together and let them sit for a few minutes to thicken while you get the rest of the batter ready. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the flax/water mixture, yogurt, and vanilla, and beat another minute. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices, and beat on low for 30 seconds. Add milk and beat for 30 seconds more, or until combined. Scrape down bowl, add in apples, and mix gently until incorporated. Spoon into muffin tin until each muffin is 3/4 full. Bake for 5 minutes at 425, then turn the temperature down to 350 (leaving the muffins in the oven), and bake an additional 15-18 minutes at 350. The muffins are done when they are slightly brown, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the muffins cool, and store in an airtight container. They are best eaten within 2-3 days, and can be frozen for later. Enjoy!
*Recipe adapted from http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/06/10/glazed-apple-crumb-muffins/