Flavorful and delicious, this paleo tomato soup gets natural sweetness from carrots, and is the perfect Whole30 tomato soup for a cool or rainy day. Ready in 30 minutes or less, it makes for a quick lunch or dinner!
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cups carrots, finely diced
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 (14.5oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 46 ounces vegetable or tomato juice (low sodium)
- 2 T organic chicken base (optional but adds great flavor!)
- 3 T maple syrup (omit for Whole30)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 T dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 (15oz) can full fat coconut milk
Add olive oil to large pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrots, and cook until carrots are softened, about 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, juice, chicken base, maple syrup, and seasonings and stir together. Heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk. Adjust seasonings to taste.* Enjoy!
*If you prefer a smooth soup, puree with an immersion blender until all the tomato, onion and carrots are completely pureed. You could also add batches of soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Just be careful, it will be hot!
Keywords: paleo tomato soup