- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cups carrots, finely diced
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 (14.5oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 46 ounces vegetable or tomato juice (low sodium)
- 2 T chicken base (low sodium) or 3 bouillon cubes
- 3 T granulated sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 T dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 (12oz) can fat free evaporated milk
- Add olive oil to large pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrots, and cook until carrots are softened, about 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, juice, chicken base, sugar, and seasonings and stir together. Heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in evaporated milk. Adjust seasonings to taste.* Enjoy!
*If you prefer a smooth soup, puree with an immersion blender until all the tomato, onion and carrots are completely pureed. You could also add batches of soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Just be careful, it will be hot!