These cookie bars are soft, chewy, and full of chocolate. They are secretly healthy, with navy beans, flax meal, and whole wheat flour, and are unbelievably delicious!
I love creating deliciously healthy dessert alternatives! I took this to a family gathering over the weekend, and some of my family can be really suspicious of the foods I make. They are always asking if something I made is healthy, deciding that if it is healthy, it must not be very good. Well, these bars did not invite ANY questioning. Success! No one even suspected they were a lightened up dessert. Everyone who ate them thoroughly enjoyed them, and I’m so happy I was able to sneak one by them. 🙂
These blondies use navy beans to replace some of the butter, and the beans add such a soft and chewy texture to the bars. I love that they also have some omega 3 fats from the flax meal, and lots of added fiber from the whole wheat flour and beans. A cookie bar that is healthy and delicious isn’t always easy to find!
- 2 flax eggs (3T flax meal, 6T water)
- 1 cup navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 T vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Start by making the flax eggs; combine flax meal and water and allow it to sit while you make the rest of the batter. In a food processor, process navy beans and melted butter until all the chunks are gone and the mixture is completely smooth. Whisk chickpea/butter with brown sugar until well combined. Add in vanilla and flax eggs and whisk until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch and stir just until the batter is combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spread into a greased 13×9 baking dish and bake 28-33 minutes, until golden brown on top. Let it cool completely before slicing into bars. Enjoy!
*Recipe adapted from http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/11/03/candy-bar-blondies/
*These should be eaten the first day or two after you make them (or frozen for later)