Comforting and delicious, these Stuffed Cabbage Bowls are filled with meat and vegetables, and taste just like the stuffed cabbage rolls you know and love. They are kid friendly, Paleo, and Whole30 compliant.
I love stuffed cabbage rolls, but I never make them because they can be a bit of a pain. I can’t seem to get the cabbage to stay in one piece and it ends up looking like a hot mess. So, I decided to use the same ingredients, but just chop up the cabbage and add it to the rest of the ingredients. Now the recipe is simple enough for me to make more often, and the kids went crazy for it!
How to Make This Stuffed Cabbage Bowl:
- Chop the onion, carrots, and celery.
- Cook the sausage and veggies in a dutch oven until the sausage is fully cooked.
- Add the sauce and seasonings, and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Enjoy! (yes, it’s that easy!)
Tips for Making this Stuffed Cabbage Bowl:
- To save time, buy pre-shredded cabbage and pre-chopped veggies
- To save money, you might want to buy a head of cabbage and shred it yourself 🙂
- You could substitute ground chicken or turkey for the sausage, just be sure to add some extra seasonings – the sausage adds lots of
- If you’d rather it was meat-free, add a scrambled egg and some extra seasonings.
- If you need a good dutch oven at an affordable price, I’ve been using this Lodge one for years!
Comforting and delicious, these Stuffed Cabbage Bowls are filled with meat and vegetables, and taste just like the stuffed cabbage rolls you know and love. They are kid-friendly, Paleo, and Whole30 compliant.
12 ounces ground sweet italian sausage
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 red onion, diced
4 carrots, shredded
4 celery, diced
8 cups shredded cabbage (about 1 head)
2 cups sliced mushrooms, finely chopped
1/4 cup coconut aminos
1/2 -1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Add olive oil to dutch oven or large pot and heat over medium heat. Add sausage, onion, carrots, and celery, and saute until the sausage is fully cooked, breaking up the sausage as it cooks. Add the cabbage, mushrooms, coconut aminos, salt, and pepper and stir together. Cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes, until the cabbage is fully cooked. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: https://detoxinista.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl-weeknight-dinner/
Keywords: Stuffed cabbage bowls paleo
Looking for more weeknight dinner inspiration? Here are some other recipes you might like: